Thursday, March 1, 2007

Explain "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"

I can't seem to grasp what's so "genius" about this show, and I think that I might be the only person in the world under the age of 35 that's lost. I've watched a few episodes now and I still cannot see the appeal. Granted, it's got some chuckle moments and some "what the fuck?" moments, but the fact that it's being hailed as brilliant by every damn person I talk to is just mind-boggling.

I stumbled onto an episode the other day and wanted to give it one more chance. I mean, if literally everyone thinks it's genius then it must just be something I'm missing, right? Nope. The shake and their disgusting neighbor were arguing over a mail-order bride and there was some other nonsense between the fries and the meat. 12 minutes later with the credits rolling I was shocked at how unfunny it was.

Think about it for a second. It's a box of french fries, a big milk shake, and a mobile ball of ground beef that live together as roommates and have random shit happen to them. Hilarity ensues (supposedly.) I understand that being different and carving out a niche are important, but there comes a time when you have to tell someone with a dumb idea that their idea might actually be dumb. Just because you haven't seen anything like it before doesn't make it some sensational, inspiring, artistic vision. You know what else I've never seen before? A show about an elephant, a deck of playing cards and an old boxing heavy bag who live in a frat house and have wacky adventures, while coming to terms with the fact that they all have AIDS!!! There's an original show, with a twist nonetheless. And don't forget the ensuing hilarity. Give me money now.

Content aside, I think the real reason that I can't stand this show is that its fan base is the most shameless group of posers I've ever seen. 80% seem to be under the impression that if you didn't get the joke, it must have been so brilliant that you'd better pretend it was funny or people will think you're dumb. Here's some shocking news for all of you: you're not smart just because you laugh at "Aqua Teen Hunger Force." I'm not saying the fans are dumb, I'm just saying that that this show, seemingly more than any other, creates this herd mentality wherein you're just not "with it" if you don't think that a selfish milk shake and a chunk of meat that can turn itself into an igloo are the most outrageously funny things on television. (My show would feature a narcissistic lamprey with a secret history of molestation. Hilarity ensues!) I know you want to be hip and rebellious, but laughing at something that might not be funny does not a rebel make.

But what do I know? The show is wildly popular and even has a feature length movie coming out. I guess it proves that the real key to success in life isn't working hard. If "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" has taught me anything it's that if I just want piles and piles of dough and millions of adoring fans, all I have to do is get baked out of my gourd and make up a crudely animated 15 minute series about whatever is sitting on my coffee table. The Pitch: A remote control, a Motor Trend magazine and a cup full of discarded sunflower seed shells try to fit in as the zany new orderlies at a local hospital emergency room. Needless to say, hilarity ensues. . .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's kind of a "not what they say but how they say it" humor (ie it is Master Shake's selfishness that makes him funny). Not every episode is a winner and "Mail Order Bride" is definitely in that list. Watch "Super Trivia", "Dumber Dolls", "PDA" or "Frat Aliens" and you will see that a lot of the humor comes from the characterization.

You kind of have to know the main characters to find their manneurisms funny. It's a bit like Seinfeld in that way. You remember I used to hate Seinfeld because it didn't make me laugh? Upon watching rerun after rerun I finally found the humor.

Anonymous said...

I dont get it either so I'll jump right in your boat, bro and we will paddle fast and far away from that STD looking hunk of meat... or wad... or whatever

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.